Friday, October 24, 2014

Installing MapR for the first time

I’m going to give a step-by-step as I’m doing it. I’m running on a fresh CentOS 6.5 minimal install:


1. Download installer from here: http://ift.tt/1yw9kLV

– I had to do yum install wget

mv mapr-setup mapr-setup.sh

chmod u+x mapr-setup.sh

./mapr-setup.sh

– I see Run “/opt/mapr-installer/bin/install” as super user, to begin install process

/opt/mapr-installer/bin/install

2. “Unable to install package sshpass”

– looking at logs in /opt/mapr-installer/var/mapr-installer.log I see it tried doing yum install sshpass

– well, I guess it wasn’t found in the default repos I have

– I’m doing this: http://ift.tt/12u8GUO (installing maprTech and EPEL repos)

3. Some questions about the install come up

– I typed in the hostname when it asked for the hostname for the control nodes (I guess a consistent /etc/hosts file would be a good idea)

– I go with default answers (I hit enter a bunch)

4. “Disks not set for node: c1″ (c1 is the hostname of my control node, which is the machine I’m running this installer on)

– I select to modify the options

– “d”

– “Enter the full path of disks for hosts separated by spaces or commas []:”

– I open a new SSH window and do lsblk to see possible drives. I’m going to add a new disk to this machine really quick

– echo “- – -” > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/scan

– lsblk (don’t see any new disks

– echo “- – -” > /sys/class/scsi_host/host1/scan

– lsblk (still no new disks)

– echo “- – -” > /sys/class/scsi_host/host2/scan

– lsblk (ahh… there’s a new disk at sdb

5. /dev/sdb is the full path to the disks I want to use

– does this mean all hosts need to have the same device paths?

– not sure, but I’m going to find out how things go with adding data nodes later on

6. I put in the SSH creds

7. This is a decent wait

– while poking around in /opt/mapr-installer I noticed an ansible directory – cool way to install stuff – just use an ansible playbook :)

– Cloudera requires the Oracle JDK. MapR uses OpenJDK, which seemed to download and install faster than the Cloudera install.

– I noticed MapR has some good instructions on how to set up a local repo: http://ift.tt/12u8GUO

8. Well, that install took about 20 minutes (on the safe side)

9. I can log in. Now I’ll see how things look, create a few data node VMs, create a new cluster (or is the cluster technically created and I just need to add more nodes?)





No comments:

Post a Comment